If you’ve come to find the most effective workout routines for men over 40, then you’ve come to the right place. This article will cover the 7 effective exercises for getting you lean, build strength and get in great shape for the summer.
You can also try a boxing workout routine, to change up your gym workout routine.
7 Most Effective Workout Routines
- Bench Press
- Overhead Squat
- Barbell Deadlift
- Clap Press Up
- Middle Back Stretch
- Seated Twist
- Child’s Pose
Let’s Take a Close Look
1. Bench Press
The bench press is a fundamental exercise which works your pectoral (chest) muscles, anterior deltoids (front shoulders), triceps brachii (back of the arm, adjacent to the biceps) and latissimus dorsi (back).
In order to perform a bench press, it is first recommended by hcg-injections.org to find a weight which is comfortable. In the beginning practice with just the bar in order to replicate good form. This will help prevent injury and maximal gains from the exercise.
How to perform the bench press exercise:
- Lie on the bench with your eyes under the bar
- Grab the bar shoulder-width apart, ensure your thumbs are wrapped around the bar for extra support
- Unclip the bar from the support by straightening your arms (lifting upwards)
- Lower the bar to the middle of your chest
- Press the bar upwards until your arms are once again, straight
2. Overhead squat
The overhead squat is one of the most effective workout routines. It will work your biggest, and most powerful muscle in the body – the Gluteus Maximus (bottom), as well as working the hamstrings, quads and thighs, making it a perfect exercise in terms of input vs. output. Overhead squats can be performed with a dumbbell(s), kettle bell or most popularly, a barbell. Try practicing without any additional weight added to the bar to start, this will allow for proper form to be learnt whilst reducing your risk of injury. To start:
- Place the bar above your head, hands well positioned apart to increase muscle range and utilization.
- Taking a deep breath, lower yourself in a downward fashion ensuring your hips track over your knees (think of sitting on a chair), breathing out slowly, return to the starting position.
- Repeat this 10x through, aim for a maximum of 3 sets with a 1-minute rest (ensure to build up to this to avoid injury)
3. Barbell Deadlift
The barbell dead lift is an essential exercise for targeting the major muscles, including glutes, calves, quadriceps, hamstrings, biceps and the core muscles. Once again, practice these workout routines without the weight first to ensure proper form and prevent injury. To start:
- Position your feet hip-width apart and just under the bar (this should be close to your shins).
- Bend forwards and grab the bar, use an overhead grip ensuring your arms are positioned outside of your legs.
- Bend your knees so that your shins are lightly touching the bar.
- Keeping your chest lifted and spine straight, engage your glutes and lift the bar (ensure the bar is maintained close to your legs).
- Lower the bar to the floor through engaging the glutes whilst pushing your hips back.
Perform this move between 8-10 reps, with a maximum of three sets (1-minute rest between sets). Slowly increase the weight once comfortable with form to see the greatest results.
4. Clap Press-up
A variation of the simple press-up, the class press-up will allow the utilization of additional muscle fibers during an explosive action, perfect for challenging the body whilst building an impressive physique, working your chest, triceps and shoulders. In order to perform a clap press-up:
- Start in the standard press-up position (hands positioned below the shoulders, feet together and eyes locked to the floor).
- Lower yourself until your chest is just below the floor.
- Push upwards in an exploding action, bringing your hands together to form a clap.
Aim for 1 set and 10 reps to start. This exercise is much more difficult than the standard and will take time to learn and adjust.
To make progressively more difficult, increase the number of sets up to a maximum of 3 with a rest of 1 minute.
Once you become an expert at these, why not try 1 your hand at one-handed push-ups?
5. Middle backstretch
Performing a middle backstretch exercise is perfect for relieving middle back pain, something which the majority of us are guilty to suffer from.
Utilizing the middle back stretch can help make daily life tasks easier, reduce pain and even improve flexibility.
With a wide variety of different exercises available to stretch the middle back, we will cover two of the most popular.
6. Seated twist
In order to perform the seated twist, sit on the floor or chair with your legs crossed, ensure to sit tall whilst pulling the shoulder blades together and in a downwards motion.
Next, gently twist to your left hand side, place your right hand on the opposing knee and the left hand behind the back, providing additional support. Hold this motion between 15-30 seconds then repeat on the other side.
Aim for 4 sets in total to relieve back pain, especially useful if you sit at a desk most of the day.
7. Child’s pose
A popular yoga move, child’s pose is a simple and effective exercise to relieve middle back pain. Yooga poses are effective workout routines.
To start, position yourself in a kneeling position with the hips and glutes resting on the backs of the feet.
Next, position the knees apart to a point in which is comfortable, slowly bend the body forwards lowering the chest towards the knees, aim for placing your forehead on the mat or as close as possible (this will become easier the more you perform this exercise).
Hold this position for 15-30 seconds and complete 4x through.
Barry White is an exercise and fitness enthusiast.
Ken Weiss is a health blogger who is passionate about natural and holistic cures for men’s health issues. He is the founder of menshealthcures.com
Hi, thank you for this article about “5 MOST EFFECTIVE WORKOUT ROUTINES FOR MEN OVER 40” it’s really helpful and this is one of my best posts it’s about Best 5 Bench Press Set: https://rev-ocean.com/best-5-bench-press-set/
jone´s last blog post ..Best Wood Burning Stove | High Efficiency Wood Stove Full Review in 2019