For years we have heard the expression “You are What You Eat.” There is some truth to this food tale. Researchers have determined that these seven foods for Erectile Dysfunction may help men reverse erection problems and improve sexual performance.
Researchers, doctors and nutritionists have determined that a man’s diet and lifestyle can significantly increase or decrease his chances of developing erectile dysfunction.
In this article, we will discuss the seven best foods for erectile dysfunction men should be eating. If you think you have symptoms of erectile dysfunction, you should begin adding these erectile dysfunction foods to your diet. On the flip side, there are several foods for erectile dysfunction that men should avoid that are known to contribute to the development of erectile dysfunction and should be avoided.
Let’s get started.
What Are the Causes of Erectile Dysfunction?
We must first discuss what causes erectile dysfunction, and how foods for erectile dysfunction can play a role in the development or prevention of this embarrassing sexual dysfunction. ED is generally caused by the lack of blood flow to the penis necessary to achieve and maintain an erection suitable for sexual intercourse. The foods American men eat, particularly fast food, processed foods and even food eaten in your favorite restaurant, usually contain high levels of sodium, sugar, carbohydrates, cholesterol and trans-fat, which leads to the various heath issues that cause erectile dysfunction.
The leading medical causes of erectile dysfunction in the 30 million American men who are afflicted each year are:
- heart disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- high cholesterol
- thyroid conditions
- low testosterone
- Type 2 Diabetes
- and obesity
In addition to poor diet, the lack of regular exercise and poor sleeping habits play a contributing role in the development of erectile dysfunction.
These health conditions lead to plaque build up in the arteries, and inflammation of the heart, arteries and blood vessels, which effects the heart’s ability to pump enough blood to the vital organs of the human body; and the penis requires a lot of blood to fill the three sponge-like chambers called the corpus cavernosum, which fill with blood to achieve and maintain an erection.
The best natural remedy for erectile dysfunction without medication is a proper diet for erectile dysfunction that includes the most important foods for erectile dysfunction that naturally relax blood vessels to improve blood flow, reduce inflammation inside the body to to help the heart work more efficiently, and encourages good eating habits.
While it is important to eat foods for erectile dysfunction, exercise regularly for 30 minutes a day three or more days a week and get seven to eight hours of sleep a night, if you have erectile dysfunction, you may want to include a natural male health supplement known to improve sexual performance and endurance.
Foods To Reduce or Eliminate That Can Contribute to Your Erectile Dysfunction Symptoms:
- Foods high in sodium (salt). A diet containing foods high in sodium can lead to high blood pressure, which impacts the heart’s ability to pump blood efficiently.
- Foods containing trans-fats. Trans-fats, partially hydrogenated and saturated fats, are a leading cause of clogged arteries and heart disease. This prevents the efficient flow of blood to the arteries and organs.
- Foods high in sugar. A diet high in sugar can lead to weight gain, obesity and Type 2 Diabetes. Significant weight gain puts pressure on the heart and vital organs to function properly. Due to insulin resistance from an over abundance of sugar (blood glucose) in the blood, Type 2 Diabetes leads to inflammation of the organs and nerve damage, which contribute to several health issues.
- Foods high in cholesterol. A diet high in LDL cholesterol is a leading cause of clogged arteries and heart disease, similar to trans-fats. High levels of LDL cholesterol in the blood slows down the body’s ability to use blood glucose, the leading cause of Type 2 Diabetes.
Erectile Dysfunction Foods Men Should Include in their Diet:
- Dark green vegetables are a good source of zinc. This trace metal has been proven to improve blood flow to, and has been shown to improve blood flow to the penis. High levels of zinc also improves prostate health.
- Foods High in Potassium (especially for older men age 6o and above), is a natural combatant to the high levels of sodium found in most canned and processed foods. Just as too much salt leads to high blood pressure, low potassium levels throws off the natural balance of electrolytes and causes high blood pressure.
- Foods low in sugar. High consumption of sugar is a major contributor to weight gain and Type 2 Diabetes. Unhealthy weight gain puts pressure on the heart and and major organs to function properly. When the heart has to work harder to pump blood to the penis, it is more difficult to get and maintain an erection.
- Foods low in fat. Eating a diet low in fat will help the body use up the excess fat, and maintain optimum body weight and help prevent heart disease. Heart disease impacts blood flow to the penis, which can lead to erectile dysfunction in men.
- Foods low in cholesterol and trans-fats. There are two types of cholesterol, LDL (Low-density lipoprotein) and HDL (High-density lipoprotein) LDL is the “bad cholesterol” that causes plaque build up in the arteries, causing coronary heart disease. Foods high in LDL are those that contain tran-fats, such partially hydrogenated oil. HDL is the “good cholesterol” that scrubs the arteries of the plaque build-up and improves blood flow. Foods high in Niacin (Vitamin B) are naturally high in HDL cholesterol.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids are essential to control heart disease, hypertension, rheumatoid arthritis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes and more. Heart Disease and hypertension are leading causes of sexual dysfunction, and many men who report weak erections have diets low in Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Foods high in Omega-3 Fatty Acids are fish, flaxseed, walnuts, eggs, Canola Oil, and pumpkin seeds. DHA supplements are another way to boost your intake of Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
- Fruits, including bananas, strawberries, cantaloupe, oranges and watermelon are an essential source of phyto-nutrients. Watermelon especially is a good source of lycopene. Lycopene relaxes blood vessels and improves blood flow, similar to how Viagra works, but naturally and without the side effects.
Eating a healthy diet containing foods low in sugar, fat, sodium and trans-fats and eliminating foods high in trans-fat, cholesterol, sodium and sugar will help prevent erectile dysfunction. Eliminating the bad foods can lower blood pressure, reduce the build up of plaque in the arteries that can lead to coronary artery disease, and reducing the likelihood of developing Type II Diabetes by preventing insulin resistance. It is also important to get plenty of exercise and 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night.
If you found this article helpful, please leave a comment. We respond to all comments.
Popular Articles related to this topic:
Natural Erectile Dysfunction Treatment
Treatment for Erectile Dysfunction and Diabetes
Exercises to Improve Blood Flow
Ken Weiss is a health blogger who is passionate about natural and holistic cures for men’s health issues. He is the founder of menshealthcures.com
Wow this is pretty interesting stuff and I had never taken into account the food you eat (albeit being a healthy balanced diet) could cause or help prevent erectile dysfunction. Glad to have found your blog.
Thanks for reaching out to me.
Masturbation gives men more immediate gratification, due to friction and tighter grip from your hand on the penis. Since the friction from sexual intercourse and bodily fluids doesn’t give the same intensity and feeling, men can lose their erection causing erectile dysfunction.
Are you using masturbation to ejaculate?
Do you find you lose your erection during sex?
Are you losing your erection during masturbation?
Thanks for reaching out on your husband’s condition.
I actually had a post on my blog on the issues of ED for women, but took it down for no response. Now that I see there is real interest, I am glad to re-rwite a new post on this important issue for men and women to address this issue together.
Let me start by saying I am not an MD and can’t give medical advice. I have researched and written on ED causes and solutions since 2010, so I can explain cause and effect of ED in men, direct you to natural ED solutions that have worked for many men, and issues to discuss with your doctor.
The fact that you want to help and don’t feel that your husband’s ED issues or inability to fully perform are some how your fault is great. Trust me this issue is hard on your husband’s feeling of self esteem, self worth and ego, whether he talks to you about it with you or not.
More men in their 20’s, 30’s and 40’s are experiencing symptoms of ED due to stress, diet, lack of exercise, smoking or other issues, so even at 43 your husband is not alone. I am a few years older than your husband, so whatever he is going through I can relate, and hopefully can direct you (and him) in the right direction to eliminate his symptoms of ED.
There is a link between chewing tobacco and ED not just cigarettes, which you can see here –
so it would be a good idea to try to get him to give up all tobacco products.
Donuts, candy and sugary drinks are high in fat, sugar, cholesterol and trans-fats, which leads to heart disease and Type 2 Diabetes. Both conditions can lead to hardening of arteries, which restricts blood flow and can eventually lead to symptoms of ED. These unhealthy snacks should be eliminated from his diet. Replace soda or soft drinks with water or green tea and donut or candy with fruits, vegetables or handful of nuts, as long as he doesn’t have a nut allergy.
Based on research and my own medical history, the veins on your husband’s scrotum is a vericosele, which is basically just like varicose veins in legs, but just in the scrotum. Have they been there for a while or recently appeared? I had them, which prevented my wife and I from getting pregnant. The veins trap blood in the scrotum over heat the testicles, which damages the sperm. Once removed, we were eventually able to get pregnant.
He needs to have it checked to make sure it isn’t testicular cancer. If you are trying to conceive and aren’t having luck, this may be the culprit. Depending on the size, are they growing or not, any associated pain, or infertility, a urologist may want to monitor them or remove them. It is generally a simple outpatient procedure.
I hope this helps, and as soon as I write the new post this week I will forward a link to you.
I will include some links for natural ED products I have used and recommend.
Men’s Health Cures
Hello Jagdish, thanks for the nice comment. Thanks for visiting https://www.menshealthcures.com
Thank you for contacting MensHealthCures.com regarding your situation. Are you able to begin sexual intercourse before you are unable to maintain your erection?
Do you have any health issues that can impact your erection, such as heart disease, diabetes, weight issues, stress, or are you new to sexual relations? Also, are you taking a prescription medications?
Please note I am not a medical doctor, but I have done extensive research on physical, medical and mental issues that can lead to erectile dysfunction.
I do get an erection but i am unable to maintain it for a long time. Help
Hello Dawson, and thanks for a great question. Foods with high LDL are generally processed foods with high levels of trans fat (partially or fully hydrogenated oils), sugar and carbohydrates, fried foods, egg yolks, cheese, milk products, alcohol and red meat. Trans-fats should be eliminated. Other food products are ok in moderation.
Foods that are low in LDL are lean chicken, oily fish, olive oil, dark red or purple fruits and vegetables, grains, and nuts.
This is helpful but what would be the foods with high hdl and low ldl
It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy.
I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or tips.
Maybe you could write next articles referring to this
article. I want to read even more things about it!
thieves oil´s last blog post ..thieves oil
Exceptional points below. I’m just incredibly pleased to appear your current article. Thank you so much considerably and i am taking a look toward hint a person. Do you want to kindly lower us a mailbox?
It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d without a doubt donate to this excellent blog! I guess for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
I look forward to brand new updates and will talk about this website with my Facebook group.
Feel free to visit my homepage – diet :: Dana ::
Dana´s last blog post ..Dana
Hi John, thanks for your comment. A good place to start is having your cholesterol checked to see if you have or are a candidate for heart disease or type 2 diabetes, which are leading causes of ED these days. Once you have determined the cause or your ED, you can find a drug-free cure that doesn’t involve Viagra.
John, heart problems are definitely a main cause in erectile dysfunction, but there are several other causes such as diabetes and prostate surgery.
Thanks for your nice comment Elias. Rgds, Ken