Flatus or Flatulence, also known as gas, is a widespread condition in today’s times. , but in some cases, its impact is severe. This can be seen in some people, where it leads to pain and real discomfort. There is no specific cure for flatus in medical science, but by taking a few cautions and using some simple home remedies, one can get the desired from this undesirable condition.
Flatus is the medical term used for the condition of formation of gas in or from the bowels or intestines. In simple terms, it can be understood as the gas that gets generated in the alimentary canal or is passed through the anus. It not only causes trouble to the person who suffers but often becomes the cause of social embarrassment as well.
Causes of Flatulence
The causes of gas may differ for one person to other. The main causes include-
- Excess swallowing of air from factors such as smoking, sucking on hard sweets, having loose fitting dentures, fast chewing, and swallowing of food, etc.
- Food items and fluids– Certain food items particularly have a substantial contributory role in causing gas for example beans, onions, gums, etc.
- Existing health conditions can often cause the symptoms of flatulence, for instance, indigestion, constipation, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), etc.
- Flatus can sometimes also be the result of inadequate medicine intake, for example, certain laxatives, anti-fungal medicines, etc.
Table of Contents
- Symptoms of Flatulence
- Natural Remedies for Excess Gas
- Foods to eat that prevent Gas
- Lifestyle changes for Flatulence
- Precautions to avoid Flatulence
- Author Bio
Symptoms of Flatulence
The main symptoms of Gas include-
- Passage of intestinal gases through the anus, voluntarily or involuntarily.
- Abdominal bloating
When it reaches the extremes, the condition may cause severe headaches too.
Natural Remedies for Excess Gas
Slow eating and drinking:
The cause of flatus in most of the people is the swallowing of excess air. Eating food too quickly without adequately chewing and swallowing it leads to an addition to the condition. Take your time and eat with a closed mouth to reduce the amount of gas entering your system and this will undoubtedly lessen the impact of gas.
Curb food intolerance:
People may be sensitive to different foods and drinks. The introduction of these items into your system may lead to reactions and hence cause gas. So, keep these in check and eliminate such foods from your diet.
Avoiding tight-fitting clothes:
Loose and comfortable clothes ensure that the person remains as comfortable as possible at the occurrence of bloating.
Quit smoking and chewing gum:
Chewing gums and cigarette or other ways of smoking are direct ways of adding excess gas into your system. This increases the farting, and unknowingly, one contributes to the elevation of the issue. Hence, avoid smoking and do not chew on gums to avoid excess gas.
Reduce intake of foods that cause Flatulence :
Certain food items increase the gas intake. Avoid the consumption of such foods and drinks.
Exercising on a regular basis keeps the whole digestive system in good form which helps the food in moving smoothly along the whole alimentary canal hence, avoiding gas.
- Drink lots of water and fluids: – Water keeps the body hydrated and helps the body waste to pass through the person’s digestive system with ease. Prefer drinking warm water every morning just after you wake up and also before your meals to help in better digestion.
- Avoid carbonated drinks: – Carbonated beverages contain air bubbles that lead to the more frequent occurrence of burping and farting. Avoid the consumption of these drinks to cut out the excess gas in your system.
Foods to eat that prevent Gas
While certain food items lead to an increase in gas and related issues, certain products are not likely to cause gas. These food items include –
- Protein products like eggs
- Fruits like avocado, olives, berries, cherries, etc.
- Carbohydrates including gluten-free bread, rice, etc.
- Vegetables like lettuce, tomatoes, zucchini, okra, etc.
- Meat, poultry, and fish
Water is the most important thing to be kept in mind. Consume a glass of lukewarm water every morning just after you wake up before letting anything else inside your system, and it would offer many health-related benefits including relief from gas.
Lifestyle changes for Flatulence
- Improve your overall lifestyle towards healthier habits.
- Do not talk or drink while you eat your meals.
- Avoid sugar substitutes and carbonated drinks.
- Manage your stress in a better way as it may also lead to an increase in the level of discomfort.
Precautions to avoid Flatulence
- Eat and drink slowly and do not swallow without chewing the food properly.
- Add more fiber intake to your diet if you feel the necessity to.
- Take a brisk walk after every meal to aid your digestion.
- Avoid fizzy drinks and exercise regularly.
- Avoid sweeteners or health products that contain sorbitol.
- Drink a glass of lukewarm water to start every morning of yours.
- Do not consume flatulence causing foods.
- Do not smoke or have chewing gums as they may add to the issue by leading to the formation of excess gas.
Flatulence can be embarrassing, troublesome and uncomfortable for you if the condition reaches out to its extreme level. People often have to take the help of medicines to reduce the impact, but the fact is that this condition can be controlled on your own by simple changes towards a healthier lifestyle, diet, and routine.
So, take proper cautions at home and flatus would no more be the cause of your discomfort.
Dr.Sohil is a health professional who has an undying love for writing and an immense need to empower people with knowledge about home remedies, natural cure, fitness, and power yoga.
He is someone who follows what he preaches and who has contributed a lot of medical articles for many a website, primarily to www.howtocure.com. In his free time, you can find him catching up with movies, going to treks and spending time with his dog.