It is not easy to age gracefully if you’ve got a lot of age spots to go with your fine lines and wrinkles that can significantly add decades to your real age.
The good news is that those unsightly age spots, also called liver spots, that make you look older don’t have to be permanent, and lighten age spots is one way to solve this issue.
What Causes Age Spots to Appear on Your Skin?
The dark liver spots that begin to appear after the age of 50 are usually a manifestation of over-reactive pigment cells in the skin. The main catalyst for the development of dark spots is prolonged exposure to UV rays from the sun.
Ultraviolet light has been shown to naturally accelerate the synthesis of melanin which, as soon as one reaches the age of 50, can clump together to produce the dark spots we now associate with aging.
These can also be brought about by the overproduction of melanin. But you don’t have to feel bad since there are ways by which you can lighten those dark liver spots that begin to appear after 50. This way you’ll feel more positive about aging gracefully. Here are some ways you can lighten those dark spots.
Table of Contents
Use Dermatologist-formulated Skin Lightening Preparations
This is no way to lighten dark age spots since it only covers them up. There are also products that try to address the root of the problem. Sadly, because these products are mostly formulated by chemists, there is always the risk of getting a reaction especially among individuals who may have sensitive skin.
If you’re going to use commercially-available skin lightening products, your best option will be to get one that is especially formulated by a licensed dermatologist as this healthcare professional understands what the skin needs and how dark spots develop over time.
Skin lightening products like Intilight have been used in the management of dark spots and other skin imperfections where the main problem is a heavily-pigmented skin secondary to over-reactive skin cells causing an increase in melanin production.
Since these products are formulated by dermatologists, you can bet that these are safe to use to lighten age spots and, more importantly, effective.
Consider Going for Natural Remedies
For those who do not wish to apply anything artificial or synthetic on their skins, you can actually apply a variety of home remedies. These are safe since there are no synthetic chemicals involved.
However, the expected outcomes may not come as fast as especially-formulated skin lightening products, with many requiring several weeks up to several months of continuous application to see any noticeable effect. I
t will take even longer to completely diminish dark spots. Patience is a virtue.
Here are some of the more common natural remedies that you can use to lighten age spots that appear after 50:
- Equal parts of apple cider vinegar and lemon juice applied over problem areas twice every day and left to dry for at least 60 minutes. Alternatively, you can one part onion juice and 2 parts of apple cider vinegar.
- Rub fresh lemon juice or cucumber juice over problem areas at night and washing and rinsing these off in the morning.
- Rub onions over problem areas and letting it sit for at least 45 minutes before washing it off. Do this twice a day.
- Soak horseradish in milk for about an hour and place over problem areas. It is best to leave it overnight then wash it off the following morning.
- Massage castor oil or buttermilk over the problem area for 5 minutes, leaving it on for at least 30 minutes, and wash and rinse off. Do this at least twice a day to lighten age spots.
- Massage aloe very gel onto dark spots for about 5 minutes; leave it for 45 minutes, then wash off. Do this at least twice every day for at least 2 weeks. Alternatively, you can use fresh aloe vera applied onto the dark spots at night and washed off the following day.
Protect Your Skin from Further Insults
Here are ways to protect your skin against the harmful UV rays of the sun.
- Wear UV-protective clothing such as those that are woven in tight knit.
- Wearing broad- or wide-brimmed hats should also help cover your skin from ultraviolet rays.
- Apply sunscreen creams or lotions with an SPF of at least 40.
- Also, avoid going out under the sun anytime between 10 am and 2 pm during the day. If you really have to be out in the sun, then bring an umbrella, stay in the shade, or wear UV-protective clothing, such as a rash guard.
Lightening those dark spots that appear after the age of 50 requires a more holistic approach. While commercially-available skin lightening products are available, it is best to choose one that is dermatologist-formulated.
If not, you can always rely on home remedies to lighten age spots. Above all, continue protecting your skin especially when you go out in the sun.
Balshi Dermatology provides the finest state of the art skin care and cosmetic services to patients of all ages in South Florida. With both internal medicine and dermatology board certifications, Dr. Thomas Balshi combines his expertise with the latest skincare technology, skin care, and sunscreen product lines to focus on whole-body wellness.
Ken Weiss is a health blogger who is passionate about natural and holistic cures for men’s health issues. He is the founder of menshealthcures.com