Bubbles in urine or foaminess in the urine can be caused by a number of factors, including dehydration, Type 2 Diabetes and illness, but it can also be normal with no issue for concern. The color of pee is usually pale yellow to dark amber. However, certain factors such as diet, drugs and disease can alter its color and also form bubbles.
Table of Contents
- Normal Causes of Bubbles in Urine
Normal Causes of Bubbles in Urine
In some cases, the foam that is formed after urinating is usually harmless and quite normal. The color under normal circumstances range from clear or yellow to darker golden, with a very smooth texture.
When the bladder is full due to restraining the urge to for so long, the urine comes out with quicker force than it normally does, which thereby causes bubbles to appear. Eventually, after a few minutes, the bubbles will disappear.
When you’re mildly dehydrated, pee becomes more concentrated, resulting in bubbles. Due to this phenomenon, the urine’s color becomes dark yellow or brown.
Still, this is nothing to worry about the bubbles typically dissipate after a few minutes.
Bubbles can also appear when toilet cleaner reacts with your liquid waste. The various chemicals contained in toilet cleansers and odor removers react with your urine. The reaction from the cleansers produce gasses, which then form the bubbles.
Semen in Urine
After ejaculation, typically after sex, there is a small amount of semen that remains in the male urethra. However, this does not form bubbles unless the bladder sphincter malfunctions, allowing the semen to enter the bladder. As a result, when the semen is expelled along with the urine, bubbles will form in the toilet.
Abnormal Causes of Foaminess in Urine
There are cases in which bubbly urine requires a more serious medical attention from doctors due to the factors that lead to it. These factors are evidently more problematic than the ones listed above.
Type 2 Diabetes
Diabetics tend to expel bubbly pee more so than non Diabetic people do. This is due to an excessive amount of the protein, albumin, which is found in liquid waste as a result of excess sugar in the blood. The body expels more liquid to rid the body of excess sugar.
When blood sugar levels increase, the kidney tissues get damaged, causing protein to leak into the urine. Urine that comes out bubbly at this point for diabetics could likely be a symptom for diabetic kidney disease.
Urinary Tract Infection
The urinary tract system is usually sterile, but can be exposed to bacteria that may cause you to develop an infection. When bacteria grows in the UTS, they release gasses which ultimately create bubbles that are carried in the urine.
When you urinate with a UTI, you will experience either pain or a burning sensation, while the bacteria builds up to produce a foamy urine with a pungent odor. If you witness any of these symptoms, it is important to see your doctor right away to avoid the risk of any further complications.
This is a condition in which an excess amount of protein is released in the urine giving that foamy or cloudy appearance. It could have been due to inflammation of the glomerulus, drug side effect, kidney disorder, or rheumatoid arthritis.
If too much protein is being released with the urine, it could be an indication that the kidney is not filtering the urine properly. Other factors that lead to kidney filtering problems may include diabetes, untreated high blood pressure, or infections, toxins or trauma to the kidneys.
Preeclampsia is a complication that occurs in women around pregnancy, leading to protein buildup in the urine, and leads to the formation of bubbles. But other symptoms to be concerned over are:
- swelling in the hands, face, and feet
- high blood pressure
- problems with vision
- swollen legs
- pitting edema and
- shortness of breath
This condition can be fatal to both the mother and the fetus if not treated immediately.
Hypercalcemia is when calcium blood levels go beyond normal limits. A person with this condition experiences dehydration, extreme thirst and frequent urination that produces foamy urine.
A fistula is an abnormal connection that connects the urinary tract with the colon. Air, gas and bacteria will go into the bladder as a result of this. Apart from that, a person with this condition could have frequent infections with symptoms similar to those of UTI.
Other factors leading to bubbles during urination may include chemical poisoning, cancer, amyloidosis, liver disease, lupus, sarcoidosis, and sickle cell anemia.
Symptoms Included With Bubbles in Urine
Other than having a bubbly or cloudy urine, you may experience a range of other symptoms such as:
- Extreme fatigue
- Abdominal bloating
- Swelling in hands and feet
- Dark-colored urine
- Foul-smelling urine
- Lower back pain
- Low semen quantity after ejaculation
- Loss of appetite
Treatment of Bubbles in Urine
1. Diabetes: There may not be a cure for the diseases like bubbles in urine yet, but it still can be controlled with caution and care. Diabetics have to regularly monitor their blood sugar levels, exercise and above all, follow a healthy diet. Many diabetics require medication to lower their high blood sugar levels.
2. UTI: To flush out the bacteria that have piled up in your urinary tract, drink plenty of water and take antibiotics.
3. Proteinuria: To maintain kidney function, take appropriate medications, control blood pressure and blood glucose levels, change your diet and follow a healthy lifestyle. Also exercise regularly, lose excess weight and refrain from smoking.
4. Preeclampsia: Giving birth is the only known cure to treat this condition, but the fetus might not survive this early in pregnancy. Therefore, it is important to visit doctor to monitor the symptoms until pregnancy advances further on.
5. Hypercalcemia: Immediate treatment of too much calcium is required depending on the condition. Solutions include taking medications, drinking excess water and decreasing your intake of vitamin D or calcium supplements.
Hamza Shahzad is a writer/editor with an endless passion for bringing a lot of useful and trustworthy information to the community As a typical interior, Hamza is a perfectionist in work. He also assists in the business creation and controls social media content planning.