Can Bike Riding Help You Lose Weight?
If you looking to lose weight, and hate the idea of joining a gym, one of the best ways to help shed those unwanted pounds is bike riding. There are several types of bikes available on the market today, and the best type of bike to buy if your goal is to use the bike for exercise is a hybrid bike, also known as a comfort bike. A comfort bike is a cross between a road bike and mountain bike.
Why Buy a Comfort Bike, not a Mountain Bike?
Mountain bikes are very popular, due to their relative low cost and availability at most big box stores. The problem with mountain bikes is that unless you plan to ride rough terrain or climb hills, this is the wrong bike for most people, especially if your goal for buying a bike is to lose weight. If you are not planning to hit the hills, we recommend a hybrid bike. With a hybrid bike, you are sitting up straight and not hunched over the handle bars. Also, this type of bike has larger softer seat, which is why it is also called a comfort bike. A comfort bike is designed for street riding and light trail riding, since it has a light weight aluminum frame and tires with small nibs that offers a smooth ride on any surface, yet can grab onto dirt and gravel without slipping. A hybrid bike has 21 gears to allow the rider a smooth and comfortable ride on flat surfaces, riding up hill or down hill with relative ease.
How Bike Riding Can Help You Lose Weight?
Now that we have discussed the best type of best bike to buy for exercise, let’s turn our attention to the benefits of bike riding for weight loss. Before beginning any exercise program, consult your doctor to ensure your heart is healthy enough to enjoy bike riding or other type of exercise regimen.
- Excellent heart healthy exercise for people with heart disease or someone recovering from a heart attack.
- Low impact form of exercise that is not hard on knees, ankles or joints.
- People who exercise tend to have lower instances of stress, anxiety and depression.
- People with lower stress, anxiety and depression tend to do less emotional eating, which is eating to fill a void and is not for nourishment, and a good way to help lose weight.
- Bike riding works several muscle groups at the same time, which burns calories.
- Riding a bike replenishes your body with fresh oxygen and natural vitamin D from the sun, even on a cloudy day.
Hybrid Bike Review
To learn more about the Schwinn Midmoor Hybrid Bike, click the link to read our Hybrid Bike Review.
To Your Health!